Where is Bristol located

Hotel Bristol

Kärntner Ring 1-7, Kärntner Straße 53-55, around 1942
Image name Kärntner_Ring1-7.jpg
Caption Kärntner Ring 1-7, Kärntner Straße 53-55, around 1942
Image source WStLA, city planning photo collection, Reiffenstein
Image rights CC BY-NC-ND 4.0
  • 1., Kärntner Ring 1
  • 1., Kärntner Strasse 55

Currently no conscription number has been recorded for this structure!

Hotel Bristol, 1, Kärntner Ring 1, Kärntner Strasse 55.

The hotel was initially set up in 1892 in a residential building (1, Kärntner Ring 7) built by Ludwig Förster in 1863, and in 1898 after the acquisition of the Hoyos-Sprinzensteinschen Majoratshaus (1, Kärntner Ring 5) and residential building number 3, which was also built by Förster in 1861-1863 Fundamentally rebuilt according to plans by Emil Breßler and Gustav Wittrisch.

In 1913, after the purchase of houses 1, Kärntner Straße 55 (built 1911) and Kärntner Straße 53, Mahlerstraße 2, according to plans by Ladislaus Fiedler and Pietro Palumbo, a complete renovation (executed by Wilhelm Schallinger; the remarkable staircase and the oval hall).

The main building (number 7) was destroyed during the Second World War and replaced by a modern office building (by Carl Appel, built 1955/1956) (later owned by the Steyr-Fiat company, burned out in 1987, then sold, demolished and replaced by the Kärntnerringhof) , the hotel entrance moved to house number 1.

The hotel faces the Ringstrasse with its balcony-decorated front and has glazed bay windows on the corner of Kärntner Strasse. This corner has become known as Sirkecke (named after a shop, later, after the Second World War, there was a bank branch [CA-BV] here, today an Ankerbrot branch. The coffee house is now on the corner of Kärntner Straße-Mahlerstraße the Opernpassage was built at its facility [1955]).

A change was made in 1948 by Carl Appel and Otto Mayr (installation of a staircase leading to the Ringstrasse underpass); In the same year, Oswald Haerdtl redesigned the mezzanine of Mahlerstraße 4.

After the Second World War, during the Allied occupation (1945-1955), the Hotel Bristol was assigned to the Inter-Allied Zone by the so-called Zone Agreement and was occupied by the United States. After the US occupation forces left, the ballroom in the basement and the oval Biedermeier salon (below the hall) were redesigned by Otto Mayr, presumably also the blue salon, the Bristol salon on the mezzanine and the restaurant on the ground floor (coffered ceiling); In the house at Kärntner Ring 3 (of which only the mezzanine is used) are the Jettel, Music and Maria Theresa salons.

See also

literature

  • Friedrich Achleitner: Austrian architecture in the 20th century. A guide. Volume 3/1: Vienna. 1.-12. District. Salzburg: Residenz-Verlag 1990, p. 58.
  • Felix Czeike: I. Inner City. Vienna [among others]: Jugend & Volk 1983 (Wiener Bezirkskulturführer, 1), p. 90.
  • Manfred Rauchsteiner: End of the war and occupation in Vienna 1945-1955. In: Wiener Geschichtsblätter 30. Vienna: Association for the History of the City of Vienna 1975, p. 191 ff.
  • Renate Wagner-Rieger [ed.]: The Ringstrasse. Image of an era. The expansion of the Inner City of Vienna under Emperor Franz Joseph. 11 volumes. Wiesbaden: Steiner 1969-1981. Volume 4, p. 438.