Hypothyroidism can turn into cancer
Underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism)
It is especially important for infants and children that their thyroid gland is functioning normally. A deficiency in thyroid hormones can seriously affect a child's physical and mental development. Therefore, thyroid hormone levels are routinely measured in all newborns. Overall, the probability of congenital hypothyroidism is very low: only about one in 4,000 newborns is born with a thyroid problem.
In adults, there is no scientific evidence that measuring hormone levels is useful for early detection. But it has different risks. A relatively large number of people have slightly elevated TSH levels, according to estimates, around 5 to 10% of the population. If the TSH value is increased, but sufficient thyroid hormones are produced, this is called "latent" hypothyroidism.
However, elevated TSH levels do not necessarily mean that an underactive thyroid with symptoms is imminent. Every year, an average of 3 to 4 out of 100 people with high TSH levels develop symptoms that require treatment. The risk of this increases if the TSH level is significantly increased or the blood contains certain ones. Women are at higher risk than men.
Since TSH levels alone tell little, routine testing could result in unnecessary treatment and worry.
There are other reasons that speak against a routine measurement of the TSH value without specific suspicion: So far there has been no generally recognized limit as to when a TSH value is “too high”. In addition, the hormone levels are subject to natural fluctuations. Slightly increased TSH levels even recede relatively often, sometimes even after a long period of time. A different value does not mean a disease.
The TSH level increases somewhat with age. It is therefore being discussed whether other limit values would make sense for older people than for younger people. Even in childhood and adolescence, the TSH values are often slightly higher because the body is still developing.
- How important is your portfolio
- What metrics measure the treading of topics in Crunchbase
- What are the best Thin Lizzy albums
- What are the best moments in the humanities
- What causes heterochromia iridum
- Which is better Kafka Vs RabbitMQ
- What is Curtis Mayfield famous for
- What's your cruise vacation story
- Chibaku Tensei is the strongest jutsu
- Do people have problems with agriculture?
- What are some mindfuck video games
- What diseases are caused by antibiotics
- When will America cease to exist?
- Why does Russia get so much respect
- What's your rating of Champcash
- Can someone with ADHD practice mindfulness
- What is macroeconomy
- Who was the first European in China
- How do I backup my backup
- Where is God when life gets tough
- Why do teachers take fainting so seriously
- What is Yb in chemistry
- Hungary uses the euro
- What are the benefits of being twins