How do I treat insect bites

What to do if you have a wasp sting

Status: 07/21/2020 5:22 p.m.
In summer, some species of wasps also come to the dining table. Then you have to stay calm so as not to make the animals aggressive.

One careless movement and it happened quickly. A wasp stung. Many people panic, but there is no need to. The stitches are painful and also very annoying due to the severe itching that sets in a little later, but usually not dangerous. In most cases, simple home remedies will help.

This will help with a wasp sting

  • Cool the puncture site with a cooling pad or ice cubes to relieve pain and itching.
  • Half an onion, left on the spot, cools and has an anti-inflammatory effect.
  • A compress with cold vinegar cools and has a neutralizing effect on the poison.
  • Special gels against insect bites are available in the pharmacy, which can also be used to cool the sting and relieve the swelling.
  • If there are no aids at hand, saliva - preferably mixed with sugar - can also help relieve pain and swelling.
  • Immediately after the sting, suction stamps from the pharmacy help to remove the poison from the sting. On the other hand, it is better to avoid sucking out the puncture site, as this allows the poison to spread throughout the body.
  • Special stitch healers, who use heat to combat the poison shortly after the sting, are also very effective when used shortly after the sting. They are also available in pharmacies.

Call an emergency doctor immediately in the event of an allergic shock

Wasp stings are dangerous for allergy sufferers: Symptoms such as shortness of breath, dizziness, vomiting or fainting indicate a severe allergic reaction that can be fatal if left untreated. In this case, the emergency doctor must be called immediately at 112. He is also responsible for stitches in the mouth and throat, as these can cause the airways to swell. People who know they are allergic should always have an emergency kit handy.

Itching or swelling: observe reactions

Above all, cooling helps against the excruciating itching after a wasp sting.

In any case, people who have been stung should be watched carefully for the first few minutes to make sure there are no symptoms suggestive of allergic shock. Because even those who have not had any major problems with wasp stings can develop an allergy to the wasp venom. Swelling and itching are usually strongest on the second or third day after the bite, after which they both slowly subside.

Prevent wasp stings - this is how it works

  • Not hitting or puffing at the animals, that makes wasps aggressive.
  • Cover food outdoors and bring inside after a meal.
  • Do not drink drinks straight from a glass or bottle, but with a straw.
  • Offer the animals what is known as distraction feeding, i.e. place a plate with food away from the table. Ripe grapes are best suited for this.
  • Avoid colored clothing as well as perfume or scented creams, these animals are attracted to them.
  • In the event that you accidentally step on a wasp, it is advisable to wear sturdy shoes in the garden

This topic in the program:

Close to nature | 02/25/2020 | 6:15 p.m.