Is the insurance industry ready for disruption
Disability insurance and psychotherapy
- Mental illness, like burnout and depression, are the leading cause for Occupational disability.
- With previous mental illnesses and previous psychotherapies is it difficultto obtain private disability insurance (BU).
- If no psychological symptoms were known before the insurance was taken out and no psychotherapy was used, this is considered to be mental illness fully insured by the BU.
- The BU is the only protectionwhich also insures psychological suffering. A BU should be completed as early as possible.
The psyche as the cause of occupational disability
The statistics of the health insurance companies have shown a continuous increase in absenteeism due to mental illness for years. The reason for this is not least the demands of the world of work, which many people are not up to. At some point they react to permanent overload with:
- chronic exhaustion,
- or a burnout.
In the worst case, this can result in occupational disability.
Psyche is clearly the most common cause
Based on a survey of its members in 2016, the General Association of the German Insurance Industry (GDV) states that 32 percent of all cases of occupational disability are caused by nervous disorders and mental illnesses. Compared to all other clinical pictures form mental illness so that most common cause of occupational disability.
Little chance with previous mental illnesses
Applicants with previous mental illnesses belong to one from the insurer's point of view High risk groupin which the occurrence of the insured event is anything but improbable. Anyone who is currently in psychotherapy will hardly a chance have to take out occupational disability insurance. Insurers are also often skeptical of previous psychotherapies. If the application for BU is accepted anyway, the insurance premium can increase considerably through corresponding risk premiums. Alternatively, mental illnesses are contractually excluded as a reason for the disability insurance. More on this in the section 'BU possible despite psychotherapy?'.... more about the causes of occupational disability
Will I get disability insurance despite psychotherapy?
In the past it was hardly possible to get a contract for an occupational disability insurance after previous psychotherapy. For the insurers, mental illnesses were an almost absolute exclusion criterion due to the high probability of occupational disability. Today the situation is a little more differentiated. For applicants who are in a ongoing psychotherapy the chances of taking out disability insurance are still extremely poor. The same is true if in the past several psychotherapies were necessary.
One-time psychological treatment
Applicants who have a mental illness and the psychotherapy required for it have somewhat better prerequisites one-time event were. In this case there is the possibility of taking out insurance Normal conditionsif, for example, it was therapy for a death in the family. You can also use a short and one-time therapy Exclusion of benefits of mental illness to be agreed.
This is how BU insurers rate psychotherapy
How a used psychotherapy is evaluated before the insurance is taken out, often depends on the Type and characteristics the disease. The insurance companies also evaluate differently, which is why it is always an individual decision. In principle, a final report on the therapy is required for a BU application with psychotherapy.
- Completed psychotherapy: Depending on the reason for the treatment, acceptance under normal conditions or premium surcharge. Precise examination necessary.
- Ongoing psychotherapy: Here the risk of occupational disability due to mental illness cannot be estimated clearly enough. This is why the insurer often defers them. This means that the assessment and decision of the BU insurer only takes place when the therapy has ended and the residual risk can be assessed.
In this way, previous mental illnesses can be assessed
|Thorough examination required||Anxiety / Obsessive Compulsive Disorder|
Chronic fatigue syndrome
State of stress / exhaustion
|Examination with psychiatric report||Neuroses|
|Acceptance unlikely, possibly with difficulty||Existing psychoses|
This is what the insurers ask in the health examination
With the application for occupational disability insurance, you must carry out a health examination. This consists of a questionnaire with health questions about your medical history, complaints, operations and dangerous hobbies that you may pursue.
With regard to mental illness and depression, insurers ask i. d. R. the following:
- "Have there been or have existed in the last X years * mental illnesses (including anxiety disorders, eating disorders, sleep disorders [more than 5 times a month], states of exhaustion, attention deficit disorder, attempted suicide)?"
- "In the last X years, have you been examined, advised or treated by doctors, psychologists, physiotherapists or alternative practitioners beyond the information already given?"
Answer this question with "Yes", you will need to provide details with details of the diagnosis, timing and treatment.
* The observation period may vary depending on the provider. 3, 5, or 10 years are common.
Note the observation periods
»Previous psychotherapy that falls within the period requested by the insurance company is allowed when answering the health questions in no case concealed become. Otherwise, the insurer can, in principle, provide the insurance benefit in the event of occupational disability deny. In such cases, the insurance companies have the right to refuse benefits not only in the event of occupational disability due to a mental illness, but also for any other health reason. In such a case, the insured would have theirs pre-contractual obligation to notify injured."
Anonymous risk preliminary inquiries for psychotherapies
If an insurer refuses to take out occupational disability insurance due to mental illness and psychotherapeutic treatment, those affected usually no longer have a chance to obtain occupational disability insurance from another provider. The rejections are stored in a common database, the Note and information system (HIS) savedthat all insurance companies have access to.
In order to avoid a rejection, an anonymous pre-risk inquiry with several insurance companies. It is possible that an insurance company can be found in this way that is prepared to cover the occupational disability despite psychotherapy.
Here's how we can help you
Our independent and experienced experts on disability insurance can carry out this anonymous preliminary inquiry for you. They know the insurance market and the insurance companies so well that they can estimate which company has the best chances for you. contact us under 030 – 120 82 82 8 or under [email protected]. You can also send us the completed form for the preliminary risk inquiry - you can find this in the contribution to the preliminary risk inquiry in the BU. There you can also read exactly how the procedure works.... more about the pre-risk inquiry (incl. Form)
Free tariff comparison for occupational disability insurance
Compare current tariffs from 2021 free of charge
Does my BU pay if I have to use psychotherapy?
If psychotherapy is only necessary if the occupational disability insurance is already in place and it can be proven that there was no mental illness before the contract was signed, the insurer pays usually and pays the
- When is the conservation of the number of baryons violated?
- Which CSS3 framework should be used
- What is creative accounting
- Python has the simplest syntax
- How do you rate a financial advisor
- What industry is Colgate Palmolive in?
- How to say goal in Hindi
- What is the oldest Indian script
- What is lysis
- Keyboards are as good as pianos
- What determines your belonging to your nation
- How can I prepare for a war?
- Who are the least innovative living composers
- How much does Home Depot pay overnight
- What is MSI Gaming Laptop
- How do I live forever
- Modulation in communication is always necessary
- What's the next big thing in IPTV
- How do I learn team management
- How does Excision do its bass
- What does the welding test measure
- Is my web design package profitable
- Did God create diseases
- What is meant by atomic