How did people develop the feeling
The causes of emotional blindness
Right at the beginning. Being emotionally blind doesn't mean having no feelings. But people with alexithymia cannot recognize it or describe it. This means that emotionally blind body reactions or pain that arise in stressful situations do not relate to their emotions. That can make you sick in the long run.
Alexithymia researcher Matthias Franz from the Düsseldorf University Hospital explains that emotionally blind people - similar to small children - cannot determine whether they are sad, angry or fearful. They tend to say: "I have a stomach ache or a backache and don't even know why."
One cause of emotional blindness lies in childhood
Often, emotionally blind people were not treated particularly sensitively as babies or toddlers. Her parents did not respond lovingly to her needs.
Then children withdraw for the sake of their caregivers. And that can be a gateway to alexithymia from a developmental perspective or from the perspective of attachment theory.
There is also evidence that genetic factors may play a role. The area of emotional blindness has not yet been explored further.
Emotionally blind people also gesticulate differently
The gestures of the emotionally blind differ from other people. This is what Professor Hedda Lausberg from Cologne found out. You gesticulate much more sparingly. In addition, emotionally blind men gesticulate differently than alexithymic women when it comes to emotional issues. Women tend to reduce their expression, men instead become restless in their motor skills.
Irritation and mutual uncertainty due to reduced facial expressions
In a current study, Professor Matthias Franz examines the facial expressions of emotionally blind people. Because emotionally blind people find it difficult to interpret other people's affect signals and therefore only react very sparingly and rather insecurely with their own facial expressions.
The "emotional aquaplaning" of the emotionally blind often causes irritation in the other person. The emotionally blind, in turn, notice that too. They don't know why, but they see the confusion. In the long run, this triggers psychosocial stress.
Emotionally blind people tend to imitate others in order not to attract attention
Many alexithyms put on a mask, so to speak, so as not to offend the social environment: They copy the emotional reactions of others.
Emotionally blind people are exposed to constant stress in their everyday life. A condition that is harmful to the health of those affected: Alexithymia has been shown to be associated with a variety of diseases. The emotionally blind are more often drug addicts than the average population. They are also more likely to suffer from other addictions such as eating disorders.
Psychosomatic complaints such as persistent headaches, back pain or irritable bowel syndrome Crohn's disease are also related to emotional blindness.
- What's so charming about your city
- What are the characteristics of an engineer
- How many employees does Groupon have
- Northern Ireland has a proper flag
- Why are the Vatican registers so secret
- Do we really need philosophy and philosophers
- How did they discover oxygen?
- Japan will build bigger aircraft carriers
- How can I educate and teach myself
- Which VPN works with Craigslist
- What does this Hebrew sentence say
- What is the motive of atheists to live
- What are the principles of Kanban
- Would reptiles survive climate change?
- All Muslims hate transgender people
- What is video delivery
- The word Hell is viewed as obscenity 1
- What are amphibians? Give three examples
- What is passenger liability insurance
- Why is barbie the best
- Which zodiac sign is the biggest freak?
- What are Win32 Thread Libraries
- Is Alice short for Alison
- Which one is right vlogger or blogger
- What is your opinion on LabVIEW
- Aldi is owned by Walmart
- Why did Christians fight in the crusades?
- What problems can carelessness bring?
- Why is Volvic water good for you
- How can I protect myself emotionally
- Is Google's Gboard better than the alternatives
- How long did the HMS Endeavor sail