Liverpool is a Protestant association
Football clubs in Edinburgh
The two clubs of the Scottish capital Edinburgh
One of the oldest derbies in the world is played in the Scottish capital, Edinburgh. Heart of Midlothian was founded in 1874 and city rival Hibernian in 1875. Hearts was originally a British association with many Protestants, whereas on the other hand Hibernian was founded by Catholic Irish.
Table of Contents
- Clubs on the map
- Heart of Midlothian FC
- Hibernian FC
- Edinburgh Derby
1. Clubs on the map
2. Heart of Midlothian FC
Heart of Midlothian, or Hearts for short, was founded in 1874 by friends from a dance club. The club has played in what is now the stadium, Tynecastle Park, since 1886. In the early days, the Hearts were twice champions and four times cup winners. In the 1959/1960 season, the team was champions for the last time. In the same season you also won the cup. Today the Hearts play in the lower half of the Scottish league. The association has the reputation of a Protestant association in Edinburgh and we are mainly supported by people from the city center.
Tynecastle Park, the Hearts stadium, has a capacity of 20,500 spectators after the renovation in 2017. The average attendance in the 2018/19 season was 17,564.
3. Hibernian FC
Religion plays a bigger role at Hibernian than it does with city rivals. Hibernian was founded by Catholic Irish who fled their homeland in the nineteenth century because of oppression and famine. The name is derived from 'Hibernia', the Roman name for the island of Ireland. The club color is green, the color of Ireland and symbolic for Catholics.
Hibernian was not allowed to compete in the first few years because the Scottish Football Association was intended for Scots and not for Irish. The first game was played on Christmas Day 1865, when fans of future rival Hearts gave in and agreed. In the years that followed, Hibernian celebrated a number of successes. The club was supported by Irish people across Scotland and won the Scottish Premier League in 1948, 1951 and 1952. In 2016 the club won the Scottish Cup (2016).
The Hibernian 'Easter Road' stadium is located in the port district of Leith and offers space for around 20,000 spectators. The only German player in Hibernian FC was Mathias Jack, who played there as a midfielder for about four years.
4. Edinburgh Derby
Because of the battle between Protestants and Catholics, the Edinburgh Derby is similar to the Old Firm between the Irish Catholic Celtics and Protestant Rangers. Nowadays, the rivalry between Hearts and Hibernian is mainly defined within the city: the west versus the east.
The first game between Hearts and Hibernian was played in 1865, making the Edinburgh Derby one of the oldest in the world. The teams met twice in the final of the Scottish Cup. The Hearts have won both times and have the better record in all derbies played.
Would you like to attend a game in the Scottish Premier League? Here you will find an overview of our games for football trips to Scotland.
- What do you know about samsung account
- Can artificial intelligence make medicine more humane?
- Can I put maple syrup in spaghetti?
- Is the New York time in the public domain
- What if the Fantastic 4 battled Thanos?
- Is the food good and juicy
- What makes metal 3D printing so expensive
- Why do bears have short tails?
- Where does the sun shine the most?
- What do you think of Hofstra Universitaet
- Who was the 2nd President of India
- Do you like Deadman Wonderland Anime
- What are binary search trees
- What is a lawsuit attorney
- What is Kelly's slip coefficient
- What are the best Hindi movie songs
- What is linen in paper Indian currency
- Which website gives Robux for free
- Northern Ireland has a proper flag
- How do hippie communities work
- Growing interest in entrepreneurship
- Why are some people against weeds
- How do psychopaths deal with betrayal
- Why does Mariah Carey hate Jennifer Lopez