What is a cuckold
Part of speech: noun, (male)Hyphenation:
- Rooster | rei, Plural: Hahn | reie
- IPA: [ˈHaːnˌʀaɪ̯], Plural: [ˈHaːnˌʀaɪ̯ə]
- 1) Husband whose wife is cheating and who accepts it so as not to endanger the peace in the house; In contrast to many other husbands who have been betrayed, a cuckold makes no move to take revenge for his wife's adultery (in earlier times, for example, by killing his rival with impunity). In doing so, he violated both secular and ecclesiastical laws and even committed a mortal sin. The public reacted to such behavior with all kinds of humiliations of the cuckold. So he was equipped with horns or antlers and placed backwards on a donkey, which was then led through the whole city.
- 2) outdated:adulterer
- 3) outdated: a species of snail (Murex cornutus)
- 4) out of date, in Mecklenburg, Pomerania and around Göttingen: a deck of cards
- cuckold has probably come from Low German to High German: Middle Low Germanhānenreyge, hānenrey, hānrey or hānreyge arrived as haggling or haggling into Middle High German. The Middle High German forms are only sparsely documented and originally had the meanings 'capon' and 'adulterer'. The adulterer is found in dialectical High Germanin a row, reisch and clean (ardently) as well as in the likewise dialectical High German rows (to mate (especially in relation to birds)) and continue in Old High Germanreiniscāri and reiniscros or wreiniscros (Stallion) again. The latter words seem to be Germanic* wreih-a- (cover, jump over) to go back, which suggests that a cuckold initially stood for 'sexually aggressive rooster' and this was carried over to humans.
The meaning 'capon' and generally the image of the cut animal fits in with Low German run as well as the Central Dutchrune and ruynkijn and also to the archaic Swabianmurmur (Gelding).
- 1) Horned, deer(joking)
- 3) scientific: Murex cornutus
- 3) card game, game
- 1) You threw yourself at this guy's neck and made me public cuckold made!
- 1) "I knew nothing would be the same as it used to be: I would make my father's boyfriend a cuckold, I would abuse the hospitality so generously granted me, I would spit in the face of the man who had shaken my hand."
- 1) make someone a cuckold
- Cuckold color, cuckold history, cuckold rattle, cuckold rattle, cuckold rye, cuckold rattle, cuckold rump, cuckold creature
- Nominative: singular the cuckold; Plural the cuckolds
- Genitive: singular of the cuckold; Plural the cuckold
- Dative: singular the cuckold; Plural the cuckolders
- Accusative: singular the cuckold; Plural the cuckolds
- Breton: 1) dogan
- English: 1) mari complaisant, wittol
- Esperanto: 1) kokrito, trompita koko
- French: 1) Mari complaisant (male), in the broadest sense: cocu (male), cornard (male)
- Italian: 1) cornuto (male), becco (male)
- Catalan: 1) cornut (male), 2) adúlter (male)
- Corsican: 1) curnutu (male)
- Norwegian: 1) hanrei (male)
- Portuguese: 1) in the broadest sense:corno (male), cornudo (male)
- Swedish: 1) hanrej; 2) caps brytare
- Spanish: 1) convertible (male)
Thesaurus & Synonyms
- Duped (sexually)
- betrayed husband
- horned husband
Another word (synonym) for cuckold - Source: OpenThesaurus
Entries from our dictionary containing "cuckold":
Rooster: ... cock tail, cock spur, rooster voice, houndstooth, wiggle cock, cock alarm clock, hahnium, cuckold, fighting cock, gurnard, sea cock, peep cock, red cock, sea cock ...
deer: ... and not very clever to classify. Synonyms: 1) zoological: bearer of antlers 2) red deer 4) cuckold, horned 7) motorcyclist opposite words: 1a) hind, stag, doe ...
Moose: ... Synonyms: 1) Elen, Elentier 2) Horned, joking: Deer Related terms: 2) Cuckold Superordinate terms: 1) Living creature, animal, mammal 1) Artifact, ruminant ...
cornuto: cornuto (Italian) part of speech: noun, (male) cases: singular il cornuto, plural i cornuti Hyphenation: cor | nu | to, plural: cor | nu | ti Word meaning / definition: 1) ...
curnutu: curnutu (Corsican) Part of speech: noun, (masculine) Hyphenation: cur | nu | tu, plural: cur | nu | ti Word meaning / Definition: 1) the cuckold Translations See translations ...
Rate & Share
Rate the dictionary entry or share it with friends.
Quote & print
Quote this page:
"Hahnrei" in the online dictionary Wortbedeutung.info (22.5.2021) URL: https://www.wortbedeutung.info/Hahnrei/
Comments from users
There are currently no comments on this entry.
Complete the dictionary entry
Wortscheutung.info is a Language dictionary and is used to look up all linguistic information. It's explicit not an encyclopedia and no subject dictionary that explains content. You can add comments such as examples of use or hints on the use of the term "cuckold" and thus help to improve our dictionary. Questions, requests for help and complaints are not welcome and will be deleted immediately. HTML tags are not allowed.
The following terms
Cuckolds (German) Part of speech: Declined form Hyphenation: Hahn | reie Pronunciation / Stress: IPA: [ˈhaːnˌʀaɪ̯ə]…
Cuckolders (German) Part of Speech: Declined Form Hyphenation: Hahn | rei | en Pronunciation / Stress: IPA: [ˈhaːnˌʁaɪ̯ən]…
Cock rice (German) Part of speech: Declined form Hyphenation: Hahn | reis Pronunciation / Stress: IPA: [ˈhaːnˌʁaɪ̯s]…
Hahns (German) Part of speech: Declined form Secondary forms: Hahnes Hyphenation: Hahn's pronunciation / stress: IPA:…
Shark (German) Part of speech: noun, (male) Cases: nominative: singular Hai; Plural sharks genitive: singular sharks; ...
Shark attack (German) Part of speech: noun, (male) Cases: nominative: singular shark attack; Plural shark attacks genitive: singular ...
Shark attacks (German) Part of speech: Declined form Hyphenation: Hai | an | grif | fe Pronunciation / Emphasis: IPA:…
Shark attacks (German) Part of Speech: Declined Form Hyphenation: Hai | an | attack | fen Pronunciation / Emphasis: IPA:…
Shark attack (German) Part of Speech: Declined Form Secondary Forms: Haiangriffs Hyphenation: Hai | an | grif | fes Pronunciation / Stress:…
- How do cups keep fluids hot?
- What is the future of quantum gravity
- Is meditation a substitute for sleep?
- What is the use of an airplane
- Satoshi Nakamoto redeemed his bitcoins
- Are Razer products really that bad
- What is the least specific word
- What does 6% C3% B72 1 + 2 equal
- What are some tetrazzini recipes
- What are binding runes
- How did Dorothea Lange become a photographer
- What are the best Thin Lizzy albums
- What is the permafrost region
- What does subdivision mean
- Should the US indict Julian Assange
- Is sleep paralysis so frightening
- Who is funding deep sea research
- Civil engineers work on dredging projects
- Why can retail therapy be dangerous
- What was Eleanor of Aquitaine like?
- Can a successful person still get depressed
- Why is amphetamine a controlled substance
- Do you prefer Metallica or Linkin Park
- Can Millennials Count on Social Security?