How do I have faith
What does belief mean?
Faith means to live everyday life based on trust in God. I seldom talked to my grandfather about faith. But from his way of living I guessed what the sentence "I believe" means.
The wall collapsed and buried him under it. It happened so quickly that he couldn't even escape. And so he lay there now, his legs locked, his upper body covered up, unable to move. And he had a lot of experience in construction. He was a skilled worker.
Then in the intensive care unit the situation came to fruition: his chance of getting away with it - not very good. After the first visit, his wife was given glasses, dentures and shoes to take home. For them, a sign of the threatening nature of his situation. But he did it and recovered. Only his legs wanted and couldn't do that well anymore. Back home, he developed his own therapy: in the pattern on the kitchen floor, the old man discovered “instructions for getting ahead”. By moving forward box by box on the kitchen floor - at first from an armchair and with pain - he slowly regained a good part of his mobility.
Faith and everyday life
My grandfather died long ago, but to this day I have not forgotten his view of life - in difficult as well as in good days. His confidence and humor, his ability to wrest funny things even from the dark, will certainly remain a role model for me. I have with my grandfather - a man with a very modest schooling! - very rarely talked about questions of faith. But through his way of life, through his way of perceiving people and events and shaping life, I had an inkling of what the phrase “I believe” can mean.
Believing and learning to believe is connected with life - with all its challenges and demands. The further away a belief is from everyday life, the greater the risk of narrowing oneself and belief.
I am meant
The creed begins with the two words "I believe". The word "I" brings myself into play - me with my story and my life experiences. “I believe” means on the one hand: I believe with my strengths and weaknesses, with my hopes and fears. The “I” also indicates that someone else should not and cannot believe for me: I have good reasons why I believe! The “I” also focuses on those people who, through their example of life, made my personal yes to faith possible and accessible in the first place.
But what is meant by the word "believe"? What does it mean when I say: I believe? The Bible likes to paraphrase “faith” with relational words such as: trust, shelter, make yourself firm, hope. Faith therefore means trust, more precisely: a well-founded trust! Because this belief encompasses all of my “I”, it is a matter of the mind, the spirit, and the will. It includes my thinking, questions and doubts. In the biblical sense, “faith” means something dynamic, namely the whole person's getting involved with God - that God who has reliably proven himself to be the “I-am-there” over millennia - in difficult times as well as in good times.
Source: Stefan Schlager, Theological Adult Education
- Are supernovae actually possible or not
- How does illness affect your depression
- Who is best between Gujjar and Jaat
- What is an example of content writing
- What restaurants in San Francisco serve rabbits
- What is Aura for?
- Where does the plant store additional food
- Is my Ternary Search implementation ok?
- You can overcome a schizotypical personality disorder
- What were some alternatives to urban sprawl?
- Is IJSER a good diary
- What happened to prisoners during Hurricane Katrina?
- What are you most looking forward to
- All electric vehicles are allowed to drive
- What is the chemical formula of lipids
- Democracy is suppressed in Bangladesh
- How is Veltech University 2
- Why does Mariah Carey hate Jennifer Lopez
- Can google approve my music mp3 website
- Where can I buy Vechain
- Is Liam Gallagher gifted
- Are there any amino acids in soy sauce
- Are vegetarians gentler than meat eaters
- What is an SFK file
- Does Donald Trump have any concubines
- Who was Caiaphas in the Bible
- Is Christianity relevant today
- How to navigate spaceships
- What are blue chips and penny stocks
- What is the Portuguese word for ice cream
- What is considered a working day
- Trotsky died
- What is Hunter Biden doing these days